You have decide to book a studio session, hire the musicians and control the process of recording, and also engage in mixing techniques. Worry no more because here are the best tips on how to start and produce music and also engage in music mixing techniques.
HOW TO PRODUCE MUSIC
Before you begin producing your music, you must have some important gears which will help you work effectively.
Tools you should have:
1. Digital audio workstation. You will use this computer software for editing, recording and audio production. The best brand for a beginner is Ableton live.
2. Keyboard and pad controllers. They help you balancing out your soundscapes with the help of the mixing tools they are equipped with. Akai is one of the best controllers to use.
3. Plugins. They will help you enhance audios which you cannot hear clearly.
Now that you have your gears, you can get started:
Before you begin, you should first know what you are going to produce.
1. Sit at your work space
2. Listen careful to the music beats. You will hear some ingredients like piano, electronic drums.
3. Open your Digital audio work and load a MIDI piano to edit and record.
4. Write a melody using your MIDI keyboard . The keyboard will help you write your melody freely without constriction of your laptop.
5. Open drum rack and get beats going with your 808s. To have a good rhythm,use your sample pad to control drums using your hands.
6. You can use plugin like reverb to tame the sub bass.
After having the knowledge of producing music, we can now learn how to mix music.
Requirements you need to get started:
1. Volume – if you have a clear balance of volume, you will have a half of your work done.
2. Panning – You should pan everything around until you have a good balance.
3. EQ – here it’s all about cutting out unwanted frequency and enhance by boosting.
4. Compression – It helps you mix your breath without removing out the naturalness of your mix or squash it.
HERE ARE GOOD WAYS TO COMPRESS WITHOUT SQUASHING YOUR SONG:
1. Mixing the loudest part of the song. You should first have the loudest part mixed until it becomes good when you listen to it, then you can now mix the rest part of the song.
2. Don’t touch your compressors and limiters when mixing the rest part of the song. If you had nicely pumped the loudest part, then you should not touch the quieter parts.
3. Do not compress-don’t compress because they are quieter parts, just automate the phrase that needs a little more volume.
4. Create depth in a mix-You will now position your elements from front to back. You will use effects like reverb,delay and chorus to create a depth in a mix. Create a 3-dimension mix with interesting effects which you will enjoy listening.
Now you can easily get your mix to translate to any speaker or sound system. Add these secret sauces to your songs and make people notice your skills.